Recently, Devika Fernando tagged me in a game where each person had to name five of their favourite actors, three of each actor’s works and then tag their friends to play along. I joined forces with Elena, we put our thinking caps on and we came up with a list of ten actors we love and movies or series they starred in. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
- I find Colin Firth as being an aristocratic and mysterious person in some of his roles, take for instance Mr Darcy in the Pride and Prejudice series. However, in The King’s Speech we see another side of his talent and even a glimpse of vulnerability, while as Roman General Aurelius in The last Legion, he shows strength and determination to protect the young Emperor.
- Audrey Hepburn is one of the icons of her time, she was classy and the embodiment of innocence, in my opinion. Just remember her roles in Roman Holiday and Sabrina, while in My Fair Lady she played the role of Eliza Doolittle, the girl who spoke with a cockney accent and sold flowers for a living, but later on became a well-mannered young lady.
- I grew up with Rowan Atkinson’s Mr Bean and I guess that I said it all. If this guy doesn’t make you laugh or brightens your day, I don’t know who will. The films I picked are Mr Bean’s Holiday, Johnny English and the Blackadder series
- Hugh Laurie is usually sarcastic in his roles and he makes fun of everyone especially ignorant people in the House MD series and I pretty much think he is the same in real life. I can’t say much about the other two series, but I’m going to mention them anyway, because I liked the episodes I found on TV: The Night Manager and Blackadder II.
- I think that Keira Knightley is suited to bring to life strong female protagonists or characters such as her epic role in Anna Karenina, which I think it surpassed her performance as Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. I also watched Love Actually, but I can’t remember much right now. However, I like Keira both as an actress and as a person.
This is the first film tag we’re doing on eLitere and I’m glad that we finally have something like this here. The more I thought about my list, the more difficult it became to choose, so I decided to go with the first names and titles which came to my mind. I can’t claim that these are the best works of the actors I mentioned, but I enjoyed them and I recommend watching them.
- Alan Rickman: Sweeney Todd, Robin Hood, Harry Potter series. I love this man and I still can’t believe he’s no longer alive. Watch his films. You might not like his characters, but it’s impossible not to admire his talent and the way he slips into stories.
- Julie Andrews: Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, The Princess Diaries. It’s Julie Andrews, come on! Who doesn’t love her? The voice, the talent… her elegance and beauty. Perfect!
- Tom Hiddleston: Crimson Peak, Thor – The Dark World, The Deep Blue Sea. I found Tom Hiddleston through his fandom and first saw him as Loki. I did not expect to be so drawn not only to his work, but also to his fans. I regret nothing!
- Tilda Swinton: Constantine, Only Lovers Left Alive, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. She fascinates me. And I might have developed a crush on her when I watched Constantine. I don’t know what she does with her characters, sometimes I forget that it’s the same woman playing them. I love it!
- Morgan Freeman: The Bucket List, The Shawshank Redemption, Bruce Almighty. The voice (are there any books read by him?), the acting… how could I not pick his name for this list? In fact, I feel like watching one of his films soon.
Have fun with the tag!
by Alina Andreea Cătărău & Elena Atudosiei